Glenealy History in Brief
History and Evolution of Glenealy
• St. Kevin of Glendalough originally
established a monastery at Kilmanagh,
which is only a mile from Glenealy Village.
The monastery later moved to the more
secluded location at Glendalough.
• 1596 The Lord Deputy of Ireland, Hugh
Russell, cut Deputy’s pass through the
woods so that munitions and supplies
could be conveyed to his Fort at Ballinacor,
• 1641 Daniel Cunniam was put to death
on Glenealy bridge.
• 1649 Cromwell is said to have burned
the old Roman Catholic Church on his way
from Drogheda to Wexford. A mud walled
church was later built - near to the Church
of Ireland - to replace the church that
Cromwell had destroyed. Nearby houses
were built using stones from the old
church and one of the gardens contains a
• 1696 A convoy of munitions was attacked
in Deputy’s Pass by Redmond Mc Feagh.
Later on that year, Fiach Mc Hugh O’Byrne
ambushed another convoy of arms.
• 1790 The Church of Ireland, Glenealy
Church, was built by the Tighe Family
of Rosanna. It was modelled on Old St.
John’s College, Cambridge.
• 1792 On October 14th the Church of
Ireland was consecrated by Rev. John
• 1798 During the rebellion yeomen
attacked a local man, Mr. Cummins and
burned him to death. A yeoman shot at
another man, Ballymacsimon, but he hid
behind the 1778 Cullen headstone in the
Roman Catholic graveyard. A hole was left
in the headstone
• 1801 Two men were hanged in the
• 1805 The owner of Glencarrig House,
George Drought made the road through
the oak woods of Deputy’s Pass.
• 1815 Charles Biancini started his coach
service in Clonmel; he changed horses at
McCall’s Carriage Stop in Glenealy. The
building was used as an inn at fi rst and
later it was a shop.
• The Pound fi eld was opposite McCall’s
Carriage Stop; stray animals were
impounded there until their owners could
pay a fee to get them back.
• 1837 Ordnance Survey letters mention
the ruins of a castle – known as Mc
Dermott’s castle, in Ballynagran, east of
• 1838 The Ordnance Survey describes
the ruins of the old Roman Catholic
Church. The ruins are located in the old
Roman Catholic Graveyard
• 1831 The Irish Parliamentary Gazetteer
gave the population of Glenealy as 193
• 1841 The Irish Parliamentary Gazetteer
gave the population of Glenealy as 148
• 1845 There were 27 houses in the village
and a few cottages on the banks of a tiny
• 1867 The Church of Ireland school
• 1868 The foundation stone of the Roman
Catholic Church was laid on the feast of St.
Joseph. Mr. Ashlin of Dublin designed the
church and Mr. John Brady of Ballyknockan
Granite Quarries supplied the chiselled
granite dressings of the church; doors
windows, strings, gable-moulds etc. The
church is considered to be a fi ne example
of gothic style architecture and has
magnifi cent stained glass windows
• 1876 The Old School House was
opened, it had three rooms and was built
from funds raised by local people.
• 1899 The old “lager” (or community hall)
was built around the time of the Boer War
and was situated in the present location of
the Chestnut Glen houses opposite the
Glenealy Lodge Pub. The word Lager is
an African word meaning Community. Irish
Language classes were held in the Lager hall
When the old hall deteriorated, a New
Lager was built for community meetings
such as Gaelic League Irish classes and
Irish literature classes.
• During the 18th century garden parties
given by the local landowners were held at
the cottage green fi eld
• 1909 Church of Ireland school closed
• 1940’s – 50’s Glenealy was a strong
camogie centre and won thirteen Wicklow
senior titles in a row.
• After 1945 After the Second World War
the Glencarrig House Hotel was bought
by the Glenihan family who turned it into
a hotel. Later it was bought by McNallys.
The house is now disused. It was bought
by the Phillips family who set up “Ballyfree
• 1949 Glenealy Park Trustees started
planning to build the village hall
• 1952 The foundations of the hall were
laid and it was built mainly by volunteers
• 1954 Glenealy Village Hall was completed
and began hosting community events
•1960s Closure of railway