Successful participants on our hand held pesticide course will be awarded the QQI Level 5 5N0731 Hand Held Pesticide Application qualification.
The aim of our QQI Hand Held Pesticide Application course is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to apply crop pesticides using a hand held applicator, in accordance with recommended safe practice and legislation. The course is suitable for all users of professional pesticides who are professional users.
If participants wish to obtain their hand held pesticide spraying licence then this QQI qualification is a recognised award for the purpose of registering as a Professional User. Upon completion of this programme, successful participants can register with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine’s (DAFM) Register of Professional Users of Pesticides. Only users on this Register may apply professional grade pesticides authorised for professional use in Ireland.
- How infestations of pests affect crop growth and reduce quality
- Range of pest control methods available to farmers and growers
- Terminology used to categorise pesticides for crop production
- Principles and procedures for the safe handling, storage, application and disposal of pesticides
- Laws and regulations relating to poisonous substances
- Interpret pesticide label information
- Prepare a hand – held applicator for work, including calibration
- Make up a pesticide spray mix in accordance with good practice
- Safe storage of hand held applicator and personal protective equipment
- Apply a pesticide mix with a hand-held applicator in a safe and efficient manner
Participants on this Hand Held Pesticide Application course must undergo a skills demonstration (60%) and written assessment (40%) to achieve certification.
Please note: learners must have relevant PPE, i.e. sprayer suit, gloves, goggles, Hi-Vis vest, hard hat, safety footwear, etc.
Click here for more information from QQI on this course.
Dates & times
The duration of our pesticide spraying course is 3 days. Days and times to be confirmed, subject to the ongoing Covid 19 situation.
Cost & funding
€250. DEASP funding available dependent on criteria. Please contact us for further details.